Unforgettable Experience from a Cruise Noob

 From Yijie Zhu,

Ph.D. student from University of Victoria

A selfie of the noob.

Embarking on my first scientific cruise was an experience filled with unforgettable moments and exciting firsts. The journey offered an incredible blend of scientific discovery, hands-on learning, and making friends that I will cherish forever.

Witnessing the pilot driving Jason. Photo credit: Yijie Zhu

One of the most thrilling aspects was witnessing a team of engineers operating a submarine vehicle named Jason. From a van packed with screens, these engineers maneuvered Jason's mechanical arms to perform various tasks on the seafloor. Being part of this team, I had the opportunity to log events and record highlight videos, capturing the essence of our underwater explorations. I also participated in the launch and retrieval of the CTD device, which was a fascinating process. Watching and helping with the deployment of transponders, wave gliders, and strainmeters was equally captivating. These submarine instruments are crucial for collecting the deformation signals of the Cascadia subduction zone that cannot be captured on the land and I was there witnessing all of them, what an experience!

CTD launch @ 4 am. Photo credit: Yijie Zhu


Sunrise after the CTD retrievement @ 5:37 am. Photo credit: Yijie Zhu


Operating a Jason was another highlight. Under the guidance of a senior pilot, I got to drive Jason myself. The thrill of navigating through the underwater world, even for a short time, was incredibly fun like playing a first-person-driving game!

Jesse was driving Jason with skills. Unfortunately I didn't have a photo of myself driving Jason. Photo credit: Yijie Zhu

The people on the cruise made the experience even more special. The chief scientists, David and Noel, were approachable and always ready to share their vast knowledge. They provided us with fundamental insights into our mission and were always available to answer our questions. Other scientists like Dave, John, and Matt were also very patient and eager to guide newcomers like me.

Seeing a sunrise and sunset at sea for the first time was breathtaking. According to Raul’s notes, I was able to catch the moment of sunset @ 9:05 pm. Photo credit: Yijie Zhu

Meeting other students on the cruise was a delightful experience. I was fortunate to be surrounded by brilliant minds who were not only passionate about research but also knew how to lighten the mood with jokes and laughter. Besides, I couldn’t have imagined playing table tennis on the ship!

A group photo at bridge. Photo credit: Angikar Roy.

Lastly, I must express my gratitude to the crew of the Atlantis. Their support, kindness, and helpfulness made the cruise smooth and enjoyable. The food on board was fantastic, and despite the rigorous schedule, I probably gained a few pounds! I will surely miss the delicious meals and the wonderful people I met during this adventure.

This scientific cruise was more than just a research trip; it was a journey of discovery, learning, and making new friends. I am grateful for every moment and look forward to many more such adventures in the future. For those who never attended a cruise and wanna try one, go for it!













Comments

  1. Sounds like a great experience in multiple ways. It's great to hear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment